Meeting Minutes

 

Title:               Budget Committee Meeting

Date:               Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Location:        Westport Island Town Office Conference Room, 7:00 pm

Subjects:         Budget Committee Tasks

 

Objective:       Elect officers for the current year. Discuss 5-Year Look-Ahead Forecast Update and Review Municipal Appropriations (General Government) Spending History. Review and plan a schedule for the balance of the fiscal year.

 

 

Proposed Agenda:

 

Topic

 

Type

Responsibility

Time

 

Review agenda and time durations and approve any changes.

Discussion

Consensus

All

7 :00

5 Min.

Action Item Review

Discussion

Consensus

All

7 :05

10 min

September Meeting Minutes Review

Discussion

Consensus

All

7 :15

10 min

Elect Officers for Current Year

Discussion

Consensus

All

7 :25

10 min

Discuss 5-Year Look-Ahead Forecast

 

Discussion Consensus

All

7 :35

10 min

Review Municipal Appropriations Spending History

Discussion Consensus

All

7 :45

10 Min

Budget Committee Schedule Status Reporting

Discussion

Consensus

All

7 :55

10 min

Other Items (Education Cost,  Salt Shed ROI,  Storage Vault Cost,  Fiscal Year Billing Catch-up etc)

Discussion

All

8 :05

5 min

Public Comment

Discussion

Public

8 :10

5 min

Wrap up

Discussion

Consensus

Secretary

8 :15

5 min

 

Attendees:       Dennis Dunbar, Bill Hopkins, Mort Mendes and Susan Partelow    

Absent:            Richard DeVries, David Blake, Kimberly Greenleaf

Facilitator:       Dennis Dunbar

Secretary:        Bill Hopkins

 

 

 



 

                        

Minutes from the October 5, 2010

Meeting of the Budget Committee

 

The meeting was called to order by Chairman, Dennis Dunbar at 7:05 PM.  The following members were present Dennis Dunbar, Bill Hopkins, Susan Partelow and Mort Mendes.  Richard DeVries, David Blake,  and Kimberly Greenleaf were absent.

 

The following preliminary items were discussed by Dennis:

  • Kim Greenleaf has tendered her resignation—accepted by Selectmen
  • A review of the meeting agenda.

 

The replacement of a Member/Alternative was discussed:

  • According to Ordinance replacement needs to be appointed within 90 days, by Selectmen
  • Replacement will fill out remaining term—expires on 6/20/11
  • List of potential persons discussed - Dennis to follow-up with Selectmen with a list of 6 candidate names for consideration.

 

The Minutes from September meeting were discussed;

  • Noted that a correction was made and presented for the forecast costs of the “Catch-up” loan in the 5 yr forecast document
  • Minutes approved with minor typo corrections

 

The assignment and spreadsheets for the 5-Year Forecast of expenditures and millage were reviewed and discussed:

  • Noted that actual mill rate shown for ’09-10 was a “synthetic” value for the year funded by the loan and no tax bills were issued based on that value—County tax not reflected
  • Members urged to prepare their initial draft 5-year look ahead estimates for next meeting.
  • Susan will supply an electronic copy (Excel) of expenditure details to Members to assist with details.

 

Annual election of officers was held:

  • Dennis Dunbar elected Chairman
  • Susan Partelow elected Deputy Chairman

 

The need for the Committee to review expenditures and reserve account balances in the Roads and Bridges account was discussed:

  • As it appears Reserve funds from Excise Taxes will be completely spent this year. A spending Article will be likely presented at the next Town Meeting which should have Budget Committee inputs and review.
  • Susan distributed copy of recent R&B account (Sept.) for reference

 

The need to review other reserve account areas was discussed;

  • A number are quite minor and reflect donated funds
  • The Municipal Landing account and expenditures will be reviewed as this is an item likely to require raising funds at the Town Meeting..

 

The Member assignments for Special Studies were reviewed: Studies to be drafted by Jan. Meeting

  • Salt Shed  business case—David Blake
  • Ferry Landing Maintenance---Richard DeVries
  • Vault and office addition-Mort Mendes
  • Revenue Improvements—Dennis Dunbar
  • Benchmarking—Richard DeVries

 

The possible need to set up a reserve account for Town revaluation was discussed:

  • According to Dennis Town will soon be beyond the 10-year date to do so, but is currently in compliance with State guidelines—so timing of need uncertain.
  • Left to be considered further

 

The need to recommend budget values for the Volunteer Fire Dept. requests was discussed:

  • This has  never been done—requests are presented and detailed at Town Meeting
  • As with any other  “Service Organization” a request for a financial report could be made to support a Budget Committee recommendation at Town Meeting.
  • No action decided.

 

Next Meeting date:

  • Due to election on first Tuesday—next meeting scheduled for Thursday Nov. 4th at 4pm.

 

Meeting adjourned:  8:40pm