Town of Westport Island
Board of Selectmen, Assessors and Overseers Meeting
January 09, 2012
Selectmen: George D. Richardson, Jr, Gerald A. Bodmer & Ross Norton
Citizens: Neil & Ann Cavanaugh, Carole Bodmer, Bob Mooney, Ruth & John Nelson
Guests; Charlotte Boynton (Wiscasset Newspaper), Bob Fairfield
1. BOS Meeting Commenced:
George called the meeting to order at 7:01 p.m.
2. Warrant: Ross motioned to approve Warrant # 28 for a total of $25,209.71 (Payroll - $3,069.25; Payables - $22,140.46); Jerry, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
3. BOS Minutes: George motioned to accept the minutes of December 19, 2011; Jerry, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
4. Citizens Issues: None.
5. Jetty Project: At the request of John Nelson, George advised that earlier in the evening he and Jerry met with contractor Davies Allen and Steve DeWick of Pine Tree Engineering to discuss ideas as to how to precede with the Jetty cribs #5 and 6. George explained that further discussion with MDOT Project Manager Catherine Small and the contractors is still required before a decision is reached.
6. FEMA Request: George advised that Janet Parker from the Maine State Planning Office had requested additional information for the National Flood Insurance Program. George provided Planning Board Chair, Ruth Nelson, the request form and asked that the Planning Board complete it and return it to the BOS.
7. Greenleaf Cove Abatement Request on Map 6, Lot 46: On discussing the abatement request, when asked by the BOS, Ruth Nelson advised that the issue regarding classification as “Open Space” will come before the Planning Board at their Jan.10 meeting.
8. Town Website: George advised that Dennis Dunbar has successfully been able to get Town Tax Maps back onto the Website using “Google”. The BOS recognized Dennis’s dedicated efforts to get this work accomplished.
9. Town Clerk’s Revised Office Hours: Jerry motioned that the Town Clerk’s office hours be revised to Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:00 to 5:00 to better accommodate the residents and come more in line with the other staff hours; George, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
10. MMA Municipal Dues: George advised that MMA has notified the BOS that there will be an increase in the 2012 annual dues to $1,228.00.
11. Wright House Town Owned Property: George advised that (2) of the Northeast Security System’s smoke detectors were determined faulty at the Wright House and needed to be replaced. He motioned that the BOS authorize payment of $190.00 ($50.00 per detector and $90.00 installation fee) to Northeast Security Systems for that work; Ross, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
12. FireTruck Sale: Fire Chief Bob Mooney gave the bill of sale for the old fire truck to the BOS for delivery to purchaser, Dave Allen. Bob explained that he told Dave that the truck was sold “where is, as is” and could not be used as a fire truck due its unsafe condition in that capacity.
Also, at the request of the BOS, Bob advised that the following firemen besides himself could issue “Burn Permits” to residents; Paul Bonyun, David Lenz and Deputy Chief Chris Fabian.
13. Committee Appointment: George motioned to appoint Alan Azzara to the Broad Band Service Committee with the term expiring on June 30, 2012; Jerry, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
14. Invitation to discuss Fire Dept. Issues: George discussed several items that he had researched regarding questions about the Fire Dept. posed to him by resident Stanley Lane. The BOS decided that a letter should be sent inviting Mr. Lane to attend the BOS meeting on Jan. 16th for further discussion.
15. Meeting Adjourned:
George moved to adjourn the meeting at 08:25 p.m.; Jerry, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
George D. Richardson, Jr. Gerald A. Bodmer Ross Norton
First Selectman Second Selectman Third Selectmen