BOARD OF SELECTMEN, ASSESSORS AND OVERSEERS MEETING
Board members present: George D. Richardson Jr., Reggie Lee and Jack Swanton
Citizens present: Dennis & Carole Dunbar, Ron & Debbie Harrison, Bob Mooney, Dan Schweitzer, Marianne Williams
Guest present: Charlotte Boynton of Wiscasset Newspaper
1. George called the meeting to order at 7:11 p.m.
2. Reviewed Warrant No. 36 for $4,215.93. George motioned to accept; Jack, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
3. Reviewed Board of Selectmen meeting minutes of March 1, 2006. George motioned to accept; Reggie, 2nd; vote: 3-0.
4. Marianne Williams – Marianne accused Reggie and George of holding an illegal meeting with Ben Crehore. She stated that during the alleged meeting that Reggie and George tried to persuade Ben to run against her for the upcoming 2nd Selectman position. Ms. Williams’ allegation is completely false.
5. Reggie motioned to copy the recently received UNICEF coupon and place the copies at Island Variety upon receiving permission from the new store owners. Jack seconded the motion; vote: 3-0.
6. Dennis Dunbar asked if anything has changed regarding the factoring system.
7. Reviewed minutes of Point East advisory hearing of February 28, 2006. Also reviewed the factor that David Spiegel has information about PCB’s in the vicinity of Maine Yankee due to past dredging operations.
8. Dan Schweitzer:
A. Has received 50 letters of support of his oyster farm (Island Oyster Farm) versus Point East.
B. “Point East is not working with me.”
9. Ron Harrison – Inquired as to when the roads will be posted.
10. Reviewed complain submitted to Jerry Bodmer, LPI, on Buddy and Ramona Greenleaf, Map 5,
11. The Board of Selectmen tabled the decision as to which auditor the town will contract with for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006.
12. George motioned to appoint Bill Hopkins as a member of the Town Hall Committee effective March 8, 2006. Jack seconded the motion; vote: 3-0.
13. Reggie motioned to appoint
Lincoln Richardson as an alternate member of the Shellfish Committee for the
period march 8, 2006 – March 8, 2007.
Jack seconded the motion; vote: 3-0.
(George abstained from the motion process due to the fact that
14. Reviewed letter to Board of
Selectmen from Westport Island Conservation Commission dated March 7, 2006
15. Reggie motioned to ask Park Pino to draft 50 words or less regarding a summary of the proposed “Westport Island Post Maine Yankee Comprehensive Plan” to be posted on the town website and to appear in the Wiscasset Newspaper. George seconded the motion; vote: 3-0.
16. Reviewed estimate from Gary Richardson dated March 8, 2006 for the cost of materials and labor to install shelving in the selectmen’s office at a total cost of $550.00. Reggie motioned to accept; Jack, 2nd; vote: 2-0-1. (George abstained.)
17. Reviewed Jan Halla’s pier,
ramp and float permit application at Map 5,
18. Reggie declared that he will not be seeking re-election as second selectman for the Town of Westport Island. “I have decided not to run after much consideration. I am beginning a career as a commercial real estate appraiser and feel that I would not be able to devote the time that is deserving of the office of second selectman.”
19. Reviewed “Site Plan Review Ordinance”, pages 28-48 and made suggested changes. The review is now complete and will be submitted to the Planning Board.
20. Reviewed LD’s No. 1481 – 1972, currently before the legislature.
21. George moved to adjourn the meeting at 10:06 p.m. Reggie seconded the motion; vote: 3-0. The meeting was adjourned.
George D. Richardson, Jr. Reginald J. Lee John B. Swanton